Thyroid activity is essential for human metabolism, so any disruption at this level can lead to serious health complications. Usually the percentage of those affected by such problems is located below 2 percent of the world population, but recent evidence suggests that we are witnessing an increasing number of people with thyroid problems as a result of multiple causes.
Not only iodine, but also zinc, selenium, copper and iron as helps regulate thyroid function. Therefore, multiple deficiencies of these minerals can aggravate the symptoms that a person suffering from thyroid problems experiences. Additionally, vitamins C and E are indicated in hypothyroidism diet.
For these reasons, food will always have an important role in optimizing thyroid’s function. Nutritionists recommend underactive thyroid patients to be more careful with oil products such as canola, cabbage, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli and corn. They contain substances that block the absorption of iodine, which can still be neutralized in cooking. Nevertheless, it’s highly recommended that these products to be consumed in moderation. Soy and its derivatives are also prohibited in hypothyroidism diet.
Foods to avoid in hypothyroidism
Before knowing which foods you should limit in your diet, it is important to reduce especially the consumption of beverages or foods containing caffeine. You also need to renounce at cigarettes and alcohol, because these inhibit thyroid’s function.
• Some raw vegetables: asparagus, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, turnips, radishes and mustard. You can cook these foods to neutralize goitrogenic properties (substance contained by these foods that affects thyroid hormone levels).
• Compounds of gluten: sauces used for the preparation of grilled meats, some types of meat, yeast, chewing gum, a wide range of stabilizers, modified starch, some seasoning, emulsifiers, malt, malt flavors and textured vegetable protein.
• Soy. Avoid eating soy milk, soy protein, soy sauce, tempeh and tofu.
• Dairy products and eggs. Considered healthy foods, dairy and eggs can damage thyroid function even when consumed in reasonable amounts. People with hypothyroidism should reduce the consumption of cheese, butter, cow’s milk, frozen desserts, margarine, mayonnaise, buttermilk and yogurt.
• Sugar and high glycemic index fruit: agave, chocolate, corn syrup, fructose, honey, maple syrup, molasses, sucrose, canned fruit, dried fruit, mango, pineapple, raisins and watermelon.
- raisins and thyroid (3)|can hypothyroid patient can drink buttermilk (2)|raisins and hypothyroidism (2)|malt beverage hypothyroidsm (1)|raisens and hypothyroidism (1)|butter milk in thyroid (1)|raisins thyroid (1)|Thyroid Food to Eat (1)|Underactive Thyroid Foods to Eat (1)|is mango milk shake good for the patient with hypothr (1)|